
Taiwan.. Continued (Part 2)
Tuesday, December 21, 2004
On the fifth day, we went to Zhong Lie Ci in the morning to watch their passing over ceremony. It really reminded me of the old NP days except that obviously the soldiers had a more gruelling work schedule.
Ok so I promised to talk about Bei Yi Nu, one of the things that we (at least the guys)have looked forward to before the trip. But ok let's just say it is a slight disappointment. Once again we were divided into classes and this time round we attended two lessons each with the Bei Yi Nu girls. I have to say my host class was still ok, in fact quite warm. Managed to engage in some small talk with the girl sitting beside me, but no dream girls, no special surprises whatsoever. Well at least the class seemed quite reluctant to see us leave after the two periods. I use "seemed" because I am not sure whether that is a show of pretence or a display of true emotion. This will have to tie in with Alvin's account of how he and his group were totally ignored by their host class. That was probably what pissed him off so much so he now dislikes the school. He claimed he saw the true colours behind the facade. Obviously some of the LEP girls strongly sided Bei Yi Nu. It appeared that the girls in their host classes actually cried when they saw them leave after a mere two hours... I was like wow I didnt know that this kind of visit can be so melodramatic. Spare me. Ok I am not sounding jealous but hey I mean given if it were you would you believe this is all just a matter of being able to click??
So that was Bei Yi Nu for you. I hope I don't mislead people into believing that place is really pretentious and all. There are always the good and bad in one place anyway. On the sixth day we went to Tai Da, only to visit its botanic garden in great detail. If not for the good-natured guide who brought us about scrutinising different types of plants as though we are on a quest to get the Young Botanist Badge, I would have put myself on screen-saver mode. Then we got to take photos (Wow!!) as usual in some more popular hot-spots of the school grounds. (like 椰林大道) Then it was off to Ying Ge where we made our own clay models. It was great fun, although my model was 90% made by the instructor and so the sense of achievement is greatly reduced to less than 10%... In the evening we visited the Taipei landmark- Taipei 101. I thought the skyscraper looked quite funny in its architecture and I found it quite slanted when I looked up at it from a distance of about 20 metres. Ok parallax error... Anyway the things here are so mainly ostentacious goods selling at exorbitant (ok maybe normal for the richer class) prices, but definitely not a place meant for a bunch of students...
Into the seventh day with half of the journey left. We had Arts and Craft in the morning! It seemed like ages since I had Art and Craft and we were supposed to make some china knots which reminded me of campcraft sessions... Then it was one lecture before we headed down to Dan Shui to view the scenery and to tour the 淡水老街. Next day was quite boring. We had another Arts and Craft session before going to Cheng Pin Bookstore. That was such a disappointment in my opinion. It was just something like Kinokuniya and the books are not any much cheaper than that in Singapore. Shall skip mentioning the ninth day because we visited the museums and stuff.
The tenth day was quite interesting. We visited Xiao Ren Guo theme park and it was really fun. Too bad we did not have enough time to finish exploring the whole place (especially the Mini Europe) because we were busy trying out the different rides in the park. Then we were shoved to a Science Centre which was certainly better than our own, just to look at dinosaurs... Ok but I think the T-rex is really cool. One of the more realistic ones I have seen so far. I have to admit although I am an Arts person, I would love to find out a bit more about bacteria and DNA over there. Here I think I would want to end the account on what we did because after this what we did was more or less the same.
I shall now turn to more juicy topics... The fact that the whole HC group was glued to the TV set every night tuning into South Park was pretty interesting. Eventually everyone became so corrupted that the daily conversations were filled with South Park jargon... This is something we have to change now that we are back in Singapore or else we will only find out that we are the only ones laughing at our own jokes... Then of course the countless bitching sessions we had in Taiwan were definitely eye-openers. It certainly made me learn more about LEP people. Especially some of those whom I reckoned were rather soft-spoken or pretentious. Eventually the subjects were narrowed in on the few primary targets. Haiz... all the bad karma accumulated... But other than that, the trip really lets you know your friends, especially when you fall sick all of a sudden. I shall not wish to elaborate. After all, this sort of thing is supposed to be uncovered by oneself. I don't want to impose my opinions on others, even if the effects are small. So well, here's drawing an end to Taiwan. It had been a great experience and certainly a memorable one.
Envoy of the Stars @ 10:54 PM
-------------------------------
Voices in the Distant
Credits
Project Sanctuary Starry Night
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
April 2013
July 2013
August 2013
November 2013
February 2014
March 2014
March 2015