
Sunday, September 04, 2005
一醒双秋梦
不识眼前人
One year ago, what was I doing? One year later, am I doing the same thing? But why do I not recognise any of my doings. My handwriting, my appearance, my personality, me. Once in a while, you need someone to remind you how much you have changed.
Went back last tuesday to look up my CHS teachers. You will ask: Why tuesday, not wednesday? Because I find it useless to join the queue on thursday(which is of cos the official Teacher's Day Eve aka "the-whole-world-suddenly-feel-like-revisiting-their-alma-mata-day") just to talk to my teachers. And then of cos, one of my chinese teacher who happens to be one of the few teachers who remember my friends and I and whose presence is one of the few reasons I choose to return in the first place, doesn't really like crowded occasions. Still remembered how we nearly saw an empty table when we went back on CNY this year and TD last year because she slipped away immediately after celebrations. Sometimes, I really feel it's all abit like putting on a show. You smile. You say "hi". Say "how have you been" while keeping the broad smile and making sure it doesn't become a smirk. Then when the time is right you say "bye" and of cos the unforgotten message which explains your objective behind your visit in the first place: a chorus of "Happy Teacher's Day". (only if you are not going alone or your timing with your friends' is just on cue.) I can't help but feel quite sad. I try to tell myself "Hey, everyone means well. The fact that you come back shows you care, at the very least." And it's for this lucky existence of such an unsullied clearing in my heart unpolluted by my cynicism which I am thankful for. It allowed me to disregard all those negative comments lingering in my mind. Although sometimes you must really hand it to some people who return like some victorious soldier ready to receive the "Medal of Honour", strutting with an air of hypocrisy and wearing a false, plastic smile, walking about with "Oh Ms XX/Mr YY I miss you so much"... Ah well probably it's their way of conveying their heartfelt gratitude. But doesn't make it any less irksome. But I know I must remind myself the motive of going back. (Ok maybe "motive" sounds too rational for such a sentimental occasion) It's more of a show of concern for people who have helped to move you on during your past stages of life, (academic wise at least) and of cos to show them you are living fine. (If they care or if they remember you, that is) I personally think it's quite important that you are sure that teacher remembers you before approaching him/her. Like during Tuesday my friend said "Hey go see Ms Wong leh. Haven't really visited her for quite long. (I was like "But we haven't even talked to her since sec 2") Still, I guessed it was polite to do so, though I have to admit it was a slight moment of chagrin when she couldn't recall who I am. (or "was" to her) I thought it was "good" in a way that she doesnt remember who I am cos I was really bad at maths during sec 2. But I could see her struggling to recall but I could only smile, though I managed to add in here and there during the conversation, which turned out to be quite long... This time we didn't bring any card, flower or anything, but we brought our hearts. One that is not filled with thoughts of going out with sec 4 class for outing, or of getting to meet sec 4 classmates who have gone on separate paths. No. This time it was just to know how they are doing. But I must admit a part of me was yearning to return to the school grounds I have spent 4 years discovering and rediscovering, walking up and running down. I cant help but chide myself knowing how near CHS is to HC but yet so far away, (in culture, ideology and of cos peer company) so much so it's almost ironic that we can find ourselves giving excuses that we are busy or that our teachers would not want to see us so often just to console ourselves for not making the extra effort to go back once in a while (not a year or well not biannually or even never for some) So after finishing our talk with the teachers, we went back to our tower block classroom. I realised I forgotten the tables are brown. Dark brown. But I still know how to use the visualisers, the projectors, the computers. We just sat there talking and taking in the air-conditioned supply of air. How ever did those times pass without me realising?
Then of cos, there's MAF next week. Really want to go as a member of the crowd, after being emcee for last year's MAF. Someone reminded me it will be our last school event, besides Prom. Hmm.... At least there will be alot of people there. I still remember how "high" everyone was, the only time we danced mass dance since orientation campfire.
Maybe, just maybe,
蓦然回首,那人却在,灯火阑珊处。
Envoy of the Stars @ 6:30 PM
-------------------------------
Voices in the Distant
Credits
Project Sanctuary Starry Night
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
April 2013
July 2013
August 2013
November 2013
February 2014
March 2014
March 2015