Blood on our hands

Sunday, January 07, 2007

"Blood diamond" was just as I expected, a political film, but with a humanistic approach. Child soldiers. Fatherly love. Fight for survival and for a ticket to escape a hellish world. Man's greed. Aggression and exploitation. Hypocrisy of supposedly civilised societies.

Sometimes my friend will ask why do I keep going to watch such tragic films, those that evoke such misery and distress that a prolonged intake will result in numbness and apathy. Just like what the female journalist Jennifer Connelly said in the heat of a moment.

"Why should I help just him (a Black father who is in search of his lost son) when there are millions like him out there?" She pauses, before slapping her forehead and continuing, "I can't believe I said that."

I find it hard to believe we will do these things too, but I guess when disaster, mayhem, catastrophe, tragedy and chaos are too distant from us, we eventually find it hard to become attached to all these which is plaguing another part of this planet we are living on, to the extent we are totally ignorant or unfeeling.

"They say the soil in Africa is red because of the blood that has spilled on it." Actually, there are few lands in this world with soil that is not stained and soaked in blood. We are always fighting. For minerals, gold, oil, and now, diamonds. Things that aren't even key to our continual sustainance and existence. I still remember the other movie "Munich" which reminded me that we can kill for things we can't even physically see. Like religion.

And how is writing about such crap going to help change things. Well it won't. But I just want to vent some frustration, and hopefully raise some awareness. That's why I will follow my path. Meet my needs, reduce my wants. Some friends don't understand why I don't have the same goal as them, to earn more money, live in luxury, buy a condo, if not a bungalow, eat in restaurants.... But to me, I only need enough, and I rather give the extra to others who can't even meet their needs. That's why I foolishly believe in wealth distribution, and sometimes I scorn at my idealistic self and that naive, almost dimwitted thoughts.

"There are no good or bad people. There are only normal people. It's when they do good things that make them good people."

"When peace comes, this place will become a paradise."

If we put our blood and sweat on the things that can truly bring along this paradise, wouldn't it be better than shedding blood by killing off each of our own.

Envoy of the Stars @ 2:04 PM
-------------------------------

Voices in the Distant

Free HTML Hit Counter

Credits

Project Sanctuary

Starry Night

Archives

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
April 2013
July 2013
August 2013
November 2013
February 2014
March 2014
March 2015