
Avalon
Sunday, March 18, 2007
Somehow I feel I am falling prey to the darkness that resides within me. Sounds like science fiction? I certainly thought so. I need more control and restraint. Defense mechanisms to disarm potent and latent negative charges building up, apart from the bit of guilt and conscience left. Man appears to be so weak, easily seduced by corruption. Especially the soul. Never mind the saying "Clean is dirty. Dirty is clean." Watching "300" leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling. Unlike my peers, I couldn't treat it as a comedy, amid the rather comical bloodbath and dismembered body parts that look more artistic than realistic. It just leaves me with bad vibes and a sick aftertaste hard to stomach. I don't know why but I felt heavily pressured throughout the film. Basically the crux of the show was gratuitous violence, even though there were underlying messages of loyalty and valour. But in the midst of all the slashing and war cries, I doubt those messages will be disseminated effectively.
It's not that I don't admire valour, honour and loyalty. But the movie, to me at least, was a struggle against Man's inner demons: lust, greed, aggression, violence, corruption, the death drive. No longer a nationalistic battle to fend off tyranny and dictatorship, no longer a fight for freedom, no longer a calamitous war between Spartans and Persians. Just a never-ending struggle between Man and Man.
That message I interpreted is the most realistic portrayal in the entire movie, to me at least. There seem to be so many movies with war themes nowadays, and watching them never fails to leave me with a heavy lamentation. Pacifist? Idealist? Realist? Does it really matter? As long as a call to arms is not issued that easily, that violence is not resorted to that lightly or frequently, peace shouldn't be that difficult... right? I guess I am still a hopeless amateur, who's still living in his own fish bowl. But it's not like I don't see well-disguised acts of hypocrisy and ugliness in real life. Finger-pointing, blame shifting, scape-goat appointing and the evident sacrificing, responsibility pushing and arrowing... And the worst thing is, this is supposed to be a game for the supposed winners with the power to call the shots, the stakes to lay, the nerve to display authority, put on airs and talk about respect when they don't really comprehend that, not for puny pawns or prawns with no say and no interest to say anything anyway. So why drag the latter into the picture? Just to let more people know how screwed up and ridiculous this place is? I think most will have known enough.
In a desperate attempt to salvage my disintegrating soul and regain that control over my self, I am really turning to music, anime, books... ... The doings of a true blue escapist, indulging in fictitious, virtual, ideal, fabricated worlds.
"Keep holding on". I think for someone who doesn't really listen to english songs, Avril Lavinge's song really provides that little comfort and drive at the right time. And relistening to David Tao's "Butterfly" now brings all the flashbacks of last year's S*sp^c days to mind again.
I am just seeking... Avalon.
Envoy of the Stars @ 5:22 PM
-------------------------------
Voices in the Distant
Credits
Project Sanctuary Starry Night
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
April 2013
July 2013
August 2013
November 2013
February 2014
March 2014
March 2015