Arts camp 09: Those angels and demons

Monday, July 06, 2009

Having experienced initial inhibitions on arranging and penning my thoughts that I suspect is due to the fatigue that is currently enveloping me, I decided to do an entry on Arts camp 09 in the end.

But this drive is punctured by a sudden inability to pen down whatever is in my mind right now so accounts of the event will probably come in drips and draps.

Everything started with helping a friend, and ended up with helping many others I made along the way. Many I know will be mere acquaintances in my life, like I am in theirs. I am never a romanticist where friendships are concerned and I hold onto my belief that friends require that extra bit of affinity, chemistry and effort and because of that, I found myself being rather reserved especially during the first half of the camp and largely maintaining my unassuming presence which I have taken the liberty to name as the screen-saver mode. As the name suggests, my inert demeanour helped to conserve that extra bit of energy that could be otherwise directed at the duties I had to undertake.

It was relentless work, such that we dub ourselves senior loggers at the end of the day, the short form being s.loggers... Get it? Everyday begins itself with morning PT in the form of carrying a variety of stores ranging from tables and chairs to buckets and pails, loading and unloading them from the lorry and vans, and setting up the stations and water points one after the other. It's magic really, because things practically just appear out of the blue in a space, ready to be utilised. And after an intensive round of games, the wares will be silently retrieved, leaving no traces to commemorate any activity that just occurred. All very ninja-like.

My log head at the end of the day asked me what was the best take-home experience I had throughout this camp. My honest answer was that I will remember preparing logistics for all those different games and taking care of the aftermath with my fellow loggers. Truth be told, I did not exactly mingle much even within the committee which makes it highly unlikely for me to be involved in all those 'high' or defining moments. Take for example, the sentimental heart-t0-heart session at the end of the camp. While everyone in the committee were sitting in a circle taking turns to give their emotional speeches and immersing themselves in the atmosphere, a call came and off we loggers go to wrap up the remaining logistical work. The realism kicked in so timely it made everything seem satirical in stark contrast. But such is the field of logistics: always following some logical pattern, with no room for excessive sentimentality. I am just glad things worked out and everyone enjoyed bits and parts, here and there.

And I just have to get to the mini bash that was one of the supposed highlights of the camp. It was definitely an eye-opener, in every sense of that word. But one thing I have to say is that I have absolutely ZERO compassion for drunkards, especially those who just drink without discipline or self-limitations, and I definitely did not pity any of those who got drunk and either made a scene or 'did the merlion action' or both. My resolve only strengthened when I had to carry the bag for one of those drunk ladies to relieve herself... and that was when she already sullied the ground beneath her feet. I was recounting this to my friend and he was like "Omg you actually did THAT?!" Well, I actually thought their brainless action was more disgusting than their puke. But I really found it amusing when females start to talk in their drunken state. Talk about spilling their guts..

Then again, it really justifies the popular chant that goes "女人不喝醉,男人没机会". I couldn't help but be tickled by the acts of chivalry and gallantry displayed by the males when their partners get drunk, ranging from attending to her as though she is running a fever to carrying her from place to place. If you ask me, drunkards need to learn a lesson or two so that they don't repeat what they had done. Being overly protective or caring spoils the person involved, and after all this person is already a young adult by default.

And lastly, there are those whom I have interacted with who have enriched those few days in camp. I met someone who touched me with his sincere opinion of his relationship. I forgot how we moved to the topic but when he was talking about his girlfriend, he said she was "the best thing that happened in his life" and he is "very lucky to have met her". There was this crispness in his tone that really touched me during that moment. I have not heard anything sounding so forthcoming and sincere for a long time. Those were not particularly beautiful words, but they really hit home.

Such were the unexpected findings in arts camp. It was definitely something I did not sign up for initially, but an experience I do not find regrettable.

Envoy of the Stars @ 1:30 AM
-------------------------------

Voices in the Distant

Free HTML Hit Counter

Credits

Project Sanctuary

Starry Night

Archives

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
April 2013
July 2013
August 2013
November 2013
February 2014
March 2014
March 2015