
Share
Thursday, November 05, 2009
"The Sister's Keeper" is one of those shows not meant for the emotionally sensitive, for the simple reason that it will polarise existing sentimentality to overwhelming consequences, as demonstrated by the female audience around me. However I do find certain parts of the show heart-wrenching, especially the family warmth depicted in the show. But what intrigued me was not the storyline, the riveting scenes or the kaleidoscope of emotions overflowing the screens but the difference in family dynamics in an alternate culture. Maybe it is the current load that I am studying now but it made me notice the nuances in western family upbringing and parenting as portrayed in the movie, compared to the Asian setting I am more accustomed to. The emphasis on encouraging the child to express their feelings and thoughts through discussions, reasoning to come to a common understanding is ever present. Parents provide a kind of scaffolding and support their children's efforts without deliberate instructions.
With things like the "we-said-she-gets-a-table-and-she-should-be-allowed-to-speak" treatment, the verbal iteration of "I am always there for you" and "I love you", the physical intimacy in daily interactions like sharing of hugs and kisses, I can safely say these are practices in parental-child relationships that most Asian families will not be familiar with. Of course, just attributing our difference to the oversimplification of social norms such as the likes of "conservatism" and "Asian values" hardly do ourselves justice, but environment does play a big part in social perceptions, and that is possibly why I thought the movie was interesting not just for the explorations of love and understanding in kinship, but for observations of a family structure in a western context.
I guess I just need some mindless movie that will not remind me of work, or maybe drawing references to what I have learnt in real life has become a sort of automatic process...
Envoy of the Stars @ 10:38 PM
-------------------------------
Voices in the Distant
Credits
Project Sanctuary Starry Night
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
April 2013
July 2013
August 2013
November 2013
February 2014
March 2014
March 2015